I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Sunday 27 October 2013

Desserts: Oreo Pound Cake with Vanilla Drizzle

+ No comment yet


Can I let you in on a little something? I used to be absolutely petrified of baking...like I legit couldn't force myself to make something as simple as a cookie. Then one day I decided to just fully dive in and make some flapjacks. Now I know what you're thinking - that it doesn't sound like much but my thirteen year old self was so proud! I soon started taking those sticky lovely things into school for my friends to enjoy because let's face it, baked goodies are (sometimes) best shared!



I took a little inspiration from the classic lemon drizzle cake and using a simple pound cake as a base, added some crushed Oreo cookies. And for the drizzle, I just replaced the juice of a lemon with vanilla extract. 


If like me, you love the idea of combining two sweets into something so sinfully delicious then maybe you can swap the Oreos for something else that you love? Maybe some Daim Bars or Snickers? Whatever you fancy! 

You'll Need:

225g soft unsalted butter 
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
225g self-raising flour 
1 packet of Oreo cookies, crushed

For the Drizzle: 85g caster sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, water


PREHEAT oven to 180 C.

WHISK together the butter and caster sugar until the mixture is pale and creamy. Add the 4 eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing it all through. 

SIFT in the flour, then add the crushed Oreo cookies and mix until everything is combined. You can line your loaf tin (I used a 8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper but I didn't have any at the time so I just greased the tin with some butter instead. Spoon in the mixture and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. While the cake is cooling, mix together 85g of caster sugar, the vanilla extract and some water - just keep adding the water a tablespoon at a time until the drizzle reaches a thick but runny consistency. 
Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - it should sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping. Leave the cake in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. 

Post a Comment