I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Sunday 20 October 2013

Main Meals: Lemon Pulp Pepper Chicken

+ No comment yet



I haven't been eating the healthiest food recently due to my new job so when I finally had a day off I treated myself to something that wasn't shop-bought. Recently, however, my days off are actually just a few hours to myself to relax, and not necessarily a whole day! I've just started a new job working in a bar, so on top of going to university full-time (i.e. spending my classes surfing the net here) and going to the gym, trying to cook on a regular basis is becoming near on impossible. I won't say impossible because deep down I know I do have the time and can make it happen!


On this particular day, I was

a) short on time
b) using whatever ingredients I could find
c) not very hungry

which is why the portion size looks quite small. So feel free to add more chicken or veggies, or maybe even add some pasta. 



The combination of lemon and parsley is perfect if you want to add some natural flavour to your meals. I try not to cook with any additives or any unnecessary amounts of salt and sugar so try to use foods that are naturally quite salty or sweet. A lot of my cooking starts with a versatile base - something like couscous or a mixed bean salad - and in this case I used some leftover roasted veggies. Anyway enough of my chit-chatter, the recipe is below! 

For the chicken, you will need:
2 chicken breasts, skinless & boneless
juice and flesh of a lemon
2 tablespoons soy sauce
black pepper
1 clove garlic, sliced or minced
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the veg:
I used a mix of sliced peppers, onion, aubergine, courgette, and cherry tomatoes. Drizzled with olive oil and some salt & pepper, I roasted them in the oven for about 25-30 minutes. 


SLICE your chicken breasts to your desired thickness. 

COMBINE the olive oil, garlic, juice and flesh of a lemon, soy sauce and black pepper in a bowl. Place the chicken breasts in the mixture and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. 

HEAT your griddle pan or wok until hot and fry the chicken breasts for about 5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Sprinkle with some fresh parsley. 

You can eat this hot or cold and it would work perfectly as a packed lunch with some couscous and fresh lemon squeezed on top. 

Post a Comment