I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Monday 18 November 2013

Breakfast: White Chocolate & Cranberry Blondies

+ No comment yet

Chocolate and fruit is a great combination. I can't actually eat chocolate in large amounts but when it's combined with something else, I'll definitely give it a go. After trying these, I've decided that they would make the perfect breakfast! Especially if you're anything like me and sometimes want to rebel from traditional breakfast options. Please note, I will not be held responsible for any addictions to eating cake for breakfast which will ensue from eating these blondies!

I based the recipe for these blondies on your everyday brownie and wanted to broaden my brother's palette a bit by introducing nuts and fruit into the mix. Chocolate brownies always ask for some type of melted chocolate and I assumed that the white variety would melt as smoothly as his brown brother but I was clearly mistaken. I melted the chocolate way too quickly and was left with a horrible, lumpy mess. After a quick tip via google, I was able to rectify my mistake and get down to it. 


My cooking prep nearly always consists of firing up Spotify! Whenever I cook, I have to listen to music. I'm convinced that a little booty shake here and there adds a little something to your cooking and helps make everything taste miles better! I currently have this song on repeat at the moment. 


To make approximately 16-20 squares, you will need: 

100g dried cranberries
200g plain flour
200g unsalted butter
4 large eggs, beaten
225g white chocolate to melt, an extra 100g roughly chopped
100g mixed nuts (hazelnuts also work perfectly), blended
225g caster sugar

Start by preheating the oven to 190ÂșC and line a 9x12in brownie tin, or similar tin, with parchment paper. Put the butter and chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water and gently melt them, stirring until smooth. Make sure the bowl doesn't come into contact with the simmering water as this can cause over-heating. Chop the chocolate into small pieces to help the chocolate to melt evenly and quicker. It's also a good idea to remove the bowl from the saucepan while there are still a couple of unmelted chocolate lumps as they will melt anyway if you continue to stir. Leave to cool. 

Add the sugar to the chocolate mix and stir it well. Add the eggs a little at a time, mixing well between additions. Sift in the flour and fold until the mixture is smooth and no patches of flour can be seen. Stir in the cranberries, blended nuts and the chopped chocolate pieces. 

Pour the mixture into the tin and spread evenly - make sure to get right into those corners! Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set them aside to cool on a wire rack and once cooled, cut into squares and serve.

Post a Comment