I cook fresh, (sometimes) healthy recipes

Monday 9 December 2013

Winter Potato Salad with Ginger Soy Salmon

+ No comment yet
This is probably the easiest meal I've ever cooked. The recipe is really versatile and can be switched up to match whatever you have lying around in your kitchen. It's also a great way to use up any leftover potatoes! I understand that this isn't really a potato salad but i'm going to go ahead and call it one, and I added vegetables which automatically makes it a salad.....right? 

I wish there was a way for me to describe just how good this smells. The combination of garlic, salt and oil makes my tastebuds do a little dance, sometimes make a little love, and yours are guaranteed to do the same once you've tried this. A lot of my recipes are the result of random concoctions put together in an attempt to beat my 'I have nothing to eat' moments. Coupled with my limited student funds, I was forced to be creative and to work with flavours and seasoning to plump up simple dishes. 



WINTER POTATO SALAD WITH GINGER SOY SALMON - Serves 2
The recipe should be more than enough for lunch or a light dinner for two. However, if you are feeding a guy I would recommend adding a few more baby potatoes and using the whole yellow pepper. The potato salad also works perfectly on it's own and works great as an accompaniment to eggs in the morning. 

4 baby potatoes, chopped into small chunks
1/4 onion, finely sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips
large handful of plum or cherry tomatoes 
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
an inch wide slice of aubergine, chopped into small chunks
3 tablespoons olive oil

two salmon fillets 
a tablespoon of ginger paste
two tablespoons of soy sauce
a tablespoon olive oil

Preheat your oven to 170ÂșC. Place the potatoes, sliced onion, yellow pepper, tomatoes, aubergine and garlic in a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil and toss around to make sure everything is coated well. Season with some salt and pepper. 

Transfer the contents of the bowl into an ovenproof dish (big enough to fit the salmon fillets as well) and bake for 20 minutes. Whilst the potato salad is in the oven, you can prepare the salmon. In a bowl, coat the salmon with the ginger, soy sauce - drizzle with olive oil and season with black pepper. After 20 minutes, add the salmon fillets to the potato salad and bake for a further 20-25 minutes. Serve with parsley. 

Post a Comment